|Painting portraying a sasquatch by Thomas Finley, titled "Night Giant."|
Video from original news report on the conference. (Source: Bigfoot is real, research teams claim)
The many problems of Melba Ketchum's claims of DNA evidence aside, the "never before seen HD video" shown at the news conference has also raised many questions regarding the authenticity of the Erickson Project and Sasquatch Genome Project as a whole. Prior to stills and clips from Erickson Project videos being released, the most commonly rumored footage was that of an alleged female sasquatch in Crittenden, Kentucky nicknamed "Matilda." Matilda was allegedly filmed twice, sleeping in the first video and walking towards the camera in the second, and was said to have reddish hair on a wookie-like face with pointy teeth.3 However, the footage of this alleged female hominid shown at the news conference paints a much different picture. The footage of the "animal" sleeping shows what looks like a rug or costume with fake fur, and the facial footage of "Matilda" shows what looks remarkably like a Chewbacca mask. In fact, special effects expert Bill Munns had received still images from the facial footage earlier this year and had concluded that they showed a Chewbacca mask with the hair reworked to be a different color and texture.4 With the "Matilda" footage being most probable fakes (in the opinion of this author), the rest of the footage exhibited at the news conference look like they could be bulky suits but are too inconclusive for proper judgment to be made. As pointed out by John Kirk, several features of alleged sasquatch from the footage shown at the press conference do not coincide with the features reported by eyewitnesses or exhibited in the Patterson Film such as lengthy arms, broad shoulders with no apparent neck, and a knee-bent gait unlike that of modern humans.5 As should be evident (and is pointed out by Tyler Stone), the Erickson and Sasquatch Genome Projects' supposed proof of a hominin hybrid species inhabiting North America is quite poor, as DNA results which have been shown to consist of a mixture of known animal samples contaminated by humans and hoaxes made with Chewbacca costumes are not going to convince any critically minded zoologist.
|Comparisons between stills of the "Matilda" facial footage and Chewbacca masks by special effects expert Bill Munns.|
(Image Source: Bill Munns: Is This Matilda?)
- "Bigfoot Is Real, Research Teams Claim." Wfaa.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 02 Oct. 2013. http://www.wfaa.com/news/entertainment/pets/Bigfoot-is-real-research-teams-claim-226033481.html?fb_action_ids=164204273776691.
- "The Erickson Project." Home. N.p., n.d. Web. 02 Oct. 2013. http://www.sasquatchthequest.com/home.html.
- "Bigfoot Evidence: The Erickson Project considering Pulling out of Race? And Who Is Matilda? [BIGFOOT RUMOR] (Updated: Website Now Redirects to Godaddy.com)." Bigfoot Evidence: The Erickson Project considering Pulling out of Race? And Who Is Matilda? [BIGFOOT RUMOR] (Updated: Website Now Redirects to Godaddy.com). N.p., n.d. Web. 02 Oct. 2013. http://bigfootevidence.blogspot.com/2011/11/erickson-project-considering-pulling.html.
- "Bigfoot Evidence: Bill Munns: Is This Matilda?" Bigfoot Evidence: Bill Munns: Is This Matilda? N.p., n.d. Web. 02 Oct. 2013. http://bigfootevidence.blogspot.com/2013/02/bill-munns-is-this-matilda.html
- "Cryptomundo for Bigfoot, Lake Monsters, Sea Serpents and More." Default Cryptomundo RSS 20. N.p., n.d. Web. 03 Oct. 2013. http://www.cryptomundo.com/evidence/john-kirk-sasquatch-dna/.