An exploration of our Earth's ever-captivating fauna through musings on the bizarre side of Zoology, Cryptozoology, Paleontology, and Paleoanthropology

Friday, June 21, 2013

My Appearance on the Squatchers Lounge Podcast~With My Comments on the Discussion



On Wednesday night, I had a wonderful time talking with Reverend Jeffrey Kelley and David Batdorf of the Squatchers Lounge Podcast. Jeff and David were very welcoming and asked some great questions while we talked about the "Sierra Kills" incident (Justin Smeja's claims of shooting two wood apes) and the hypotheses and evidence for sea serpents. I have shared the YouTube video of our session above, and I urge you to watch it if you enjoy the kinds of things which I generally write about here! However, I do wish to clear some things up regarding what I had said during the show. At one point of our "round-table discussion", I had said that the fat deposits which possibly exist on the backs of longnecks could appear to be humps as the animals "undulate" through the water. When I said this, I think I had confused Mr. Kelley as to what I had meant by undulate. I did not mean undulation as in movement resulting in several sections of the animal's back visible above the water in the classical manner portrayed in popular culture for sea serpents, but rather as in the general body movement in the vertical plane which all marine mammals exhibit. In regard to the reports of several (more than two or three) humps undulating through the water at the same time, resulting in a report of a serpentiform sea serpent which can form its body into several humps or "hoops" visible above the water, I think that these are most likely cases of misidentified animals such as dolphins and whales swimming in a row. I also feel that some of these reports, specifically the ones which entail an animal with a head and long neck raised above the water, may be of actual longnecks which are creating wakes and waves that trail behind them as they swim (creating the appearance of undulating humps).
An example of how dolphins can result in an apparent serpentiform sea beast, using the St. Olaf "sea serpent" sketch.
(More examples in this post at Frontiers of Zoology)

On last night's podcast, when I was asked what I thought a long necked pinniped would look like I brought up a painting which sadly did not fully fit on the image displayer. But I can now say that this remarkable new painting by cryptozoological artist Thomas Finley fits the features reported for what I hypothesize are long necked pinnipeds, especially those of the maned and horse-headed 'Merhorse' kind which are commonly reported off the coast of British Columbia (Dr. Heuvelmans suspected that these animals were zoologically distinct from the more classic long-necked animals, although researchers such as Peter Costello and myself see no reason to accept the notion with the current data). This hypothetical pinniped is possibly evidenced by the Naden Harbor carcass of 1937 (although I think it has decomposed to some extent if it is a longneck carcass) and the Kelly Nash footage from 2009, both of which I had shared and spoke about on last night's podcast.
Excellent painting by cryptozoological artist Thomas Finley, titled  "Inquisitive Long Neck".
Although viewers may find it ignorant of me to have presented the Naden Harbor carcass as possible evidence after having posted the first part of Scott's guest article which dealt with possible identities for the carcass, I must point out that Scott has pointed out to me and others that the carcass has some distinct morphological features not found in other known animals. I hypothesize that if the Naden Harbor carcass is that of a longneck, then a good amount of its anatomy has decomposed due to the short period of digestion which it likely experienced while in the stomach of a sperm whale. My hypothesis, which I have poorly illustrated below, is that the carcass may have belonged to one of the thick bodied longnecks reported in the same region and around the world but it had appeared so slender when photographed due to soft tissue features and perhaps some skeletal anatomy having been lost. The smaller size of ten feet and the relatively short neck (in comparison to reports of large longnecks) is likely due to the animal being a juvenile, if it actually is a genuine longneck carcass.
Naden Harbor carcass in black; hypothetical longneck body in brown
With thanks going out to Jeff and David, I hope you decide to watch the full podcast. I'm sure you will enjoy it, and you will get to have the new experience of hearing me talk about cryptozoology rather than just writing about it.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome show Jay! You will be, and are a force to be reckoned with in the science world! Love your intelligence brother! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment with your thoughts regarding this post! Please refrain from crude behavior such as name calling, making false claims, or using inappropiate language.