An exploration of our Earth's ever-captivating fauna through musings on the bizarre side of Zoology, Cryptozoology, Paleontology, and Paleoanthropology

Monday, May 20, 2013

A Fantastic New Blog Logo by Thomas Finley!


The Old and Rather Unoriginal Looking Bizarre Zoology Blog Logo
I have recently befriended an artist and cryptozoological researcher on Facebook named Thomas Finley. Thomas resides in Essex, England and has been creating some truly amazing artwork which I have often featured in my blog articles. Recently, I decided that the old logo for the Bizarre Zoology blog is far too unoriginal and unexciting for a blog which I hope will instill wonder and curiosity for the natural world in people. It had been created through copy and pasting, and I have come to realize how unprofessional it looks. As a fan of Thomas Finley's art, which has become quite popular in the cryptozoological "community", I had decided to ask him if he would be willing to create a logo for me. I just received the final painting today, and I could not be more satisfied with how it turned out!



The new logo of the Bizarre Zoology blog!
Thomas's logo artwork is incredibly detailed and truly instills a feeling of mystery in the viewer. It reminds me of a specimen cabinet in an old natural history museum, which makes me adore it even more! Here is Mr. Finley's description of the elements in the painting:
"Featured in the banner art are several well known and lesser known cryptids. From top left is a famous image: Laclan Stuart's 1951 "Nessie" photograph. Below is an unidentified carcass from the Pacific. And in the flask on the right is a specimen of the truly amazing "Cyclops" shark. A true anomaly any day. The missing puzzle piece represents the elusive hairy giants known as Sasquatch, the Bigfoot of North America."
I do wish to expand on each element in the painting now, so that the viewer can know what bizarre animals make up the new logo. The alleged "Loch Ness Monster" photograph which is being portrayed at the top left is intriguing in the way that it resembles the humps which many witnesses report, but sadly the photograph was a hoax using bails of hay covered in tarps. However, many witnesses of alleged sea and lake "monsters" do report undulating humps which are similar to the portrayal in this painting and these alleged animals may posssess fatty humps.
Eyewitness drawing of a long necked "sea serpent" which appears to have fatty humps
The unidentified carcass from the Pacific being portrayed appears to be some kind of reptilian animal, although I'm not entirely sure of what Thomas based it off of. It reminds me of some of the reports of bizarre reptilian "sea monsters" which I have read about. The "Cyclops shark" in the flask is an example of a strange animal carcass which was actually found and verified! Although it was not a new species, it is a perfect example of how bizarre animals can be and it was doubted at first by scientists (adding a cryptozoological element to it). Amazingly, this fetal dusky shark didn't only have one eye, but it also was albino!
Cyclops Shark
The one eyed, albino dusky shark: a bizarre specimen on the new logo.
The last animal in this beautiful logo is a portrayal of one of the large, bipedal primates called Bigfoot or Sasquatch (or wood apes as I prefer) which are reported in North America. A logo for a blog which regularly features articles on cryptozoology could not be complete without a portrayal of one of these unknown hominids. Mr. Finley also told me that the puzzle piece which the Sasquatch is portrayed inside represents "the missing piece as with all great mysteries of life", which makes the logo have an even more intriguing meaning.
In our discussions regarding Sasquatch, Mr. Finley has told me that he thinks these animals are giant hominins, and that Meganthropus may be a good candidate.
I can not even express my immense gratitude to Mr. Finley for creating such a beautiful piece of artwork for my blog, without even asking for a fee. I know that this new logo will help make my blog better than ever, and will help me tremendously in achieving my goal of revealing the bizarre side of the zoological world to my viewers. Please contact Thomas Finley at his Facebook or email him at capteasycheese@gmail.com for reconstruction paintings of your sightings or historical account; or just to give him a thumbs up.

8 comments:

  1. Much better rendition of what this blog is supposed to be about, Jay. Not trying to put your cut and paste job down in the meat grinder but instead I'm trying to say how much of an improvement this new art IS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps that "reptile" is actually meant to be a chupacabra?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure...it might be a depiction of the Fiji mermaid, but that turned out to be a hoax.

      Delete
  3. Until I read your breakdown I had assumed that the reptile was meant to be a chupacabra as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definite Chupacabra....

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment with your thoughts regarding this post! Please refrain from crude behavior such as name calling, making false claims, or using inappropiate language.